Monday 28 September 2009

Successful failure

Today has been a funny old day.



Last night I was chatting to the Spanish woman (Matti) about all different things until around 1:30m ... waking up this morning at 9:00am I was tired but I got myself up and ready. The Spanish guy's were off today so it took me a little while before I got the bathroom ... I didn't mind as it meant I could say goodbye. I also asked Matti about the market but I found out that this market was on the way to their next destination (Bucharest); dam! Still I thumbed though my guidebook and found a market within Brasov ... I thought I'd go and have a look.

Last night Matti had showed me a Transylvania box with a secret way of opening ... I was very impressed and when she said it cost her €5 I was going to find me one (though she had bought hers at another market outside of Brasov).

Once they were gone (around 11ish) I went out to the post office; I posted back the 'war stories' book I had finished reading (thanks Dad) and sent a postcard. I then went to find this market to soak up the atmosphere. The market was only 20 stalls big and most of them fruit; as you can imagine it didn't take me long to soak up the atmosphere but the thing I did notice was that the Romanian grapes that were on display were in a kind of square shape ... not in a bag, very strange.

I then returned to the Hostel and dropped of my stuff; I headed back out to do some shopping. I found those boxes Matti had said about and purchased 2 (one for a mate) ... however mine cost a little more than €5, infact mine cost around €12 ... still I didn't mind as I would of had to travel out of Brasov to find a cheaper price and the travelling, plus time, would have cost me around €10. I then went to see if I could find my parents a present but nothing really took my fancy; however walking though Brasov did give me an idea that I might follow up once home.

Again I headed back to the hostel to drop of my shopping, then out again for something to eat for lunch. On the final time of going back to my hostel I picked up my bag and went to the bus station ... my plan was to catch bus 17 out of Brasov towards Nova and the nine fingered lady (it's cave or something).

Even though Romanian's didn't believe in repairing their buildings, it would appear they have achieved the art of telepathy ... there were no, or little, bus stop signs and I didn't have a clue where I was. I got off near a wooded area and decided to have a wonder; however after a short while I decided that without a map (the tourist office was useless as it had no real maps of Brasov's surrounding area) I decided to head back to the bus. I got on the next 17 bus and asked the driver, he said 4 stops and so I waited 4 stops and got off.

Once off I headed in the direction the tourist information lady had marked. After about an hour of walking I decided I wasn't going to find this cave, however, even though road side walking wasn't what I had in mind, the views of the hills were spectacular.

It was now 3:30pm and I decided I would only get a maximum of an hour walking up some hills before I would have to turn back ... I decided it wasn't worth it so I walked back to the bus. Once back in Brasov I found a book shop that sold English books ... even though they were abit pricey (about £5 more than in the UK) I decided that, with a 24hr train journey ahead of me, I needed a book so from the limited choice I bought Stephenie Meyer's 'the twilight saga' The Host (it's about people taking over other peoples minds ... I did say the choice was limited) for £12 ... anyone read it?

I then returned again to my hostel, put my bag down, and then went to the train station to book my train ticket out of here on Wednesday. The idea was:

to leave Brasov at 9:04 and arrive in Budapest at 18:47 (Wed)
to leave Budapest at 21:05 and arrive in Munich at 06:16 (Thurs)
to leave Munich at 07:23 and arrrive in Cologne at 12:05 (Thurs)
to leave Cologne at 14:44 and arrive at Brussels at 16:35 (Thurs)

However I have decided to book 2 nights at Cologne and have a look around there. Also I have decided that I will spend another 3 nights in Brussels; there is Napoleon's HQ at Waterloo I want to look at and a Waffle with my name on it. That's right, I've decided to extend my stay to three weeks in Europe ... instead of coming home on Friday the 2nd I shall be leaving Brussels on the 6th October ... I've okayed it with work so all is well (also I have enough money so why not).

It's been a funny old day ... I didn't really do what I wanted to do when I set out but I've enjoyed it all the same (and in some ways I've done much more).

Anyway I'm off for something to eat ... I shall speak to you lot another time

Toodle Pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment