Sunday 27 September 2009

And on the 7th Day he rested

MP3 track of the day: Lady Ga-ga - Poker face



Waking up at around 9am my Spanish room mates had already gone; I decided that today would be a restful day. The morning was spent getting ready, lounging around the dorm and doing some washing.

At around 12:00 I hit the streets; arriving yesterday at night meant I hadn't seen much of Brasov but, as entered the main square, I saw just how beautiful it was. Firstly I went to the tourist office for a map and then I wondered around following my 'Rough Guides' guide book on the little bit of Brasov it had. I went to the Black Church and then onto the towers and walls of the city. Having only eaten chocolate biscuits, pastries and a few sweets yesterday I planned to make it up today. For lunch I went to a restaurant and had grilled chicken and chips for lunch; after this I headed up the mountain (forgot the name) that made Brasov look like a miniature town. I decided that I would cable car it up and walk down as I was lacking in time. The view was unbelievable; there was a viewing platform just to the left of the 'V' in the Holloywood style 'Brasov' name (see fickr photos for a picture). This to me was like the Baths in Budapest, the Reich stag in Berlin ... this I knew would be the highlight of my stay in Transylvania.

Once down I meandered through the city and eventually found the post office (for tomorrow) and other useful things. Once back at the hostel I removed my pack ... the lady in charge eventually turned up and I asked her for the code to the Internet I'm using now and also for a traditional Romanian restaurant; she was very helpful and I forgave her all my troubles of yesterday.

I arrived at the restaurant she told me about; it was down in a sella and all the staff were wearing traditional Romanian clothing ... it was very cool. Also another plus was that the guy who owned the restaurant did his own slaughtering of animals so you knew the food was fresh. A helpful waitress went through the menu with me and told me that 'Transylvania stew' was a traditional dish ... so I had that.

It was lovely and I knew I would visit there again ... possibly tomorrow.

I'm now back in at the hostel in my bed; the three Spanish guys arrived a little while back so I just had to tell them the good news that Hamilton won the Singapore GP ... yes! They didn't really follow F1 but it felt good ... they then said they were going out for something to eat and would I like to join them ... nooooo! I was a little gutted as I had already had something to eat and it would of been nice to of had some company.

Anyway the plan for tomorrow is unsure at the moment; I was going to...

1) go to the post office
2) Take a bus to a hiking area 30mins away (that the tourist office had recommended)
3) come back and go to the train station to book my ticket out of here on Wednesday

However the Spanish girl said that, as apart of their last day tomorrow, they were going to the market ... she had bought quite a nice box and I quite fancy going to a market ... might see if I can tag along.

So it's either market, or hiking (or possibly both) ... so much stuff so little time.

Toodle Pip!

3 comments:

  1. Glad it's still going well. Just keep your garlic and holy water handy, just in case...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have done ... I've also made sure it wasn't holly water!

    ReplyDelete