Thursday 8 July 2010

Trek America – Day twelve

MP3 track of the day – Mr Brightside – The Killers (got bored of the Hillbilly music and so I had my MP3 player on).

Weather – IT'S SPITTING!

After a lovely lye in the group of us that stayed at the campsite went in search of a proper cooked English breakfast at around 11am. Unfortunately all places had finished serving breakfast and so I ended up with the worlds most expensive plate of chips that weren't very nice (how much do I miss British chips … the Americans just can't do them).

The guys came back from Halibut fishing and we packed away the campground whilst Eddie picked up those who went horse riding. Once back at the campsite I was about to get on board the van when Eddie asked if I could pick up a coffee cup that someone had left on the campsite table … sure no problem. This meant that I was the last one onto the bus and the only space free was next to 'center of attention needed' Nicky. There were a few giggles from the group as this seemed to have been planned but all I did was take out my MP3 player and put my hat over my eyes … the journey between Homer and Hope wasn't that long … was it? Before we left Homer we stopped to pick up some of the Halibut the guys had caught when they went fishing and off we went to Hope.

When we arrived at Hope we pitched up and another group started to cook dinner (that made a change); it was Halibut curry with additional Halibut BBQ on the fire. I think it was the first time I had tasted Halibut and it was good (not as good as cod … but still very nice). We had waaay too much Halibut for our group and so we took some to the local pub (and he gave us drinks in return). There was a band, made up of children (really young children … the leader singer looked about twelve), playing in the pub which were really good. It's the first time I've given money to a performance group and it wasn't because of the quality of music, it was more to do with the sheer bottle of standing there, singing and playing in front of a local Alaskan American pub crowd … good on them.

After this back to camp we went and to sleep. The last few days have been shorter than the others, I think because we are getting closer to the end of the trip and people are tired.

Tomorrow we go back to Anchorage and say goodbye :)

Toodle Pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment