Friday 2 October 2009

Feeling Rough

MP3 track of the day - Offspring: worst hang over ever



Well I woke up today at around 7:30am expecting that, after 12 hours sleep, I would feel allot better ... I didn't really; I went into the bathroom to get ready before my room mates could. Ah before I go on lets just quickly talk about my room mates; just like at the Generator Hostel in Berlin it appears that, by accident, I have chosen a hostel that caters for the younger person. I'm sharing my room with three girls who have won the 2009 gold award for the 'most messy room mates' ... when I arrived the floor was covered in shoes, clothes, make-up etc. I didn't know where to stand.

Anyway after having breakfast (which I only had a bit of fruit juice, some toast and some cereal ... umm think the hostel made some money out of me there) I got ready and headed out. It was around 9:30 when I left and, being in a delicate state, I decided to walk into the city and get some fresh air. For the first time this holiday it was cold and I had both my fleece and coat on (it's around 12oc here) which I was very glad about as if it had been hot I would of left worse; anyway after walking into the city centre I soon found the Dom.

Well you can hardly miss it ... at 157.31m high it's one of the biggest Gothic churches ever built, which then lead me to ask the question how the hell did the allies miss it in their bombing raids. 99% of Cologne was utterly destroyed during WW2 (there are some postcards with images of the destruction), pretty much all of it apart from the Dom ... there must of been strict instructions not to bomb it.

Anyway after taking a few photos (which I can't upload yet as I'm back in the internet cafe) I then looked at my guide book and went to the Cologne tower. My guide book said that you get a better view from the other side of the Rhine and so I headed across the bridge; sure enough the view was very pleasant.

After this I still wasn't feeling particularly well and so I decided that I would head back to the Dom to find a shop selling coke ... yes coke. My stomach wasn't too happy and coke is actually pretty good for an upset stomach as all it's acids usually kill whatever the problem is.

On my way there I went past the railway station and, because it was pretty cold, I went into Starbucks ( this is the first time I have been in a Starbucks) for a hot chocolate and a sit down.

Finally I then decided to head up the Dom; 533 steps to the viewing platform it was quite a struggle; I walked up 97.25m to the top. It was quite a sight but it was very cold so I didn't stay long; for me it was about being able to say I've been to the top of the Dom ... the view over the 1960's post-war buildings wasn't the most important aspect.

Once down I sat near the Dom and I felt exhausted; still in a fragile state I decided, with seeing the two main attractions, I would walk back to my hostel and have a sleep. I arrived back at around 2pm and slept until 5pm (didn't really want to sleep any longer as I won't be able to sleep tonight).

After that I left the hostel and put on my coat and hat on (yes Edd, my beanie hat ... still no one knows me around here) and headed to this internet cafe.

Not sure what I'm going to do now; I know I want to be back in bed for at least 8pm but that gives me a couple of hours to kill. Still, looking on the bright side ... not feeling very well has saved me a load of cash (although I had just ordered Valkyrie off HMV ... yes mum and Dad you can open it and watch it if it arrives home before I do). Also I should get something to eat as I've only had breakfast today, but the way I feel I don't think I could stomach it.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow ... ummm see a recurring theme here.

Toodle Pip

No comments:

Post a Comment