Monday 10 August 2009

Youth Hostel Membership and Vaccinations



Well I'm now a fully paid up member of the Youth Hostel Association (YHA) for the next two years. I've only used two youth hostels before and both were not what I expected; they are extremely clean, got loads of local information and a games rooms (including table tennis).

Hosteling is one aspect of my travelling that I am both looking forward to and dreading. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, sharing information about home countries and talking about their / my travels. I feel this is a big part of travelling and will enhance my experience.

However I would by lying if I wasn't worried about safety (to be specific, the safety of my possessions); I've been told not to worry and all of the people I've spoken to haven't had a problem (well only one has). However none of this stops you worrying (and I don't think it should because I think you should be on your guard). I guess the proof is in the pudding ... as they say!

However, before I start thinking of accommodation I have to deal with my own personal health. I've already purchased travel insurance so what's missing ...



... oh yeah, vaccinations.

Now at this point I should be acting all macho and saying "... I love injections; I could have them all day no problem..." However I would be lying. I've never liked injections ... I don't know why, maybe it has something to do with a blood test that didn't go quite to plan (long story and pretty boring). Just to clarify these are the injections I need for my European trip, not the world trip (which is next April). The two injections I need are Hepatitis A and Revaxis; this should cost me less than £15 ... err bargain I suppose.

Anyway, Thursday is dooms day and I feel it's going to be a long day.

Until then!

1 comment:

  1. I had the first course of my vaccinations on Thursday; I've got three courses of three injections ... gulp. I don't know what I was worried about; the Injections hurt allot less this time round than the last time I had vaccinations ... well I was six at the time. Also the nurse was really nice to me and explained everything and gave me a load of information for me to read ... it's just like being back at University (apart from the injections of course).

    ReplyDelete