Wednesday 11 May 2011

If you don't ask you don't get


Wednesday 11th May 2011



20 days left traveling the world.



MP3 track of the day: Jumping Jack Flash – Rolling Stones



Weather: Hooot.










My mornings seem to have become a pleasurable routine of waking up early and eating cake for breakfast. Today was no acception. Once I'd devoured another slice of cheesecake I walked to the nearest bus stop to, yet again, head into the town of 'New Dali'. Even though I knew where the offices were I still presented the driver with the same piece of paper shown two days ago. He nodded indicating that he would let me know where to get off.



The bus wasn't as full as on Monday and so I retained my seat; as I approached the visa office I noticed that the antenna, on top of the building, looked like a miniature silver version of the Eiffel Tower. Without a nod from the driver I disembarked the service and walked into the visa office without hesitation. The office was empty and the guy, who I'd spoken to on Monday, was sat in the same chair. “Please wait a few minutes” he said as I sat on the stool opposite him; I could see that he was printing out my extended visa and, with careful precision, he stuck it onto an empty page within my passport. Once back in my hands I checked the details of my new visa thoroughly; I was now entitled to stay within China until my flight. I thanked the guy and left.



The bus was packed and so I alighted a couple of stops early and walked the rest of the way. Once back at the hostel I booked a bus to Lijiang, for tomorrow, before heading to an internet café to book accommodation. Once my accommodation was booked I sent a few emails including one to British Airways (BA); after writing a few lines of flattery I explained to BA that my coming flight was my final one within a year of travel. I continued by saying that I would like to use my 'BA points' to upgrade my seat as a 'celebration'. I'm pretty sure that I haven't got enough points to get a fee toothpick, let alone an upgrade to a 'pod' class seat, but 'if you don't ask you don't get'.



The computer shut down after an hours of use. I went back to my hostel momentarily to print off directions to the hostel, within Lijiang, before heading into town for lunch; with nothing much to do I continued the 'blog' work, that I started yesterday, and sat in the sun, with an orange juice, until the early evening. My bus leaves at nine tomorrow morning arriving in Lijiang at 1pm. I need to pack, have a shower and an early night; tomorrow I should be able to grab a final slice of cake before heading back to my hostel and being picked up. Finally I'm moving again!



Toodle Pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment