Friday 25 September 2009

Payday!



I love payday; there is only one thing better than payday and that's payday and the weather being sunny ... no wait there is something even better; it being payday and sunny and you're on holiday ... fantastic!

First thing I did this morning was post some stuff home; after that I was running out of money so I went in search of an ATM to withdraw ... ummm 5,000ft (£18). One word of warning; never withdraw cash from a foreign country early in the morning ... I pressed the 50,000ft button (£180) ... odear odear odear. After being alittle annoyed with myself I took at step back and realised I'd just swap it for Romanian money at an exchange place later today ... but for now it was time to head to the baths.

After hearing that a Polish girl, at my hostel, had her locker broken into at the baths I decided to leave all my credit cards and 40,000ft in my locker at the hostel (plus passport and inter rail ticket). Was this a wise idea? ... I thought about this all the way to the baths. Before I left I was given some good advice that was, if someone really wanted your stuff they were going to get it anyway, what I had to do was reduce the threat of this happening and make sure I didn't carry anything with sentimental value (hence why I upload my photos to Flickr on the same day ... can't loose my pictures). I decided that I had made a good choice; the Baths would have hundreds of people in where as the Hostel would only have 15/20 people ... and it seemed really safe ... though this didn't stop me worrying all the way to the baths.

Was the baths worth paying £26 for a pair of swimming trunks and £10 entrance fee ... hell yes. It was fantastic; set in an old building there are numerous (I went in 7) baths set at different temperatures. I went in baths ranging from 28oc to 40oc; after the 40oc I went straight into a 20oc ... core that was a shock. My favourite bath was the 38oc spar bath. I sat their, closed my eyes and emptied my mind ... I had forgotten about all the things I had left in my locker and the world in general... it was bliss and is certainly worth trying. It seemed to me that a visit to the Baths was a social event and, at that point, I wished I was travelling with someone; it would of been ace to see the hours fly by whilst chatting in the Baths to a mate.

The only problem with the baths were the amount of old people ... hundreds of them; they should have set times where they didn't bother anyone (and I have to say, some of the old people were minging ... glad they didn't go in my bath!).

An hour and a half flew buy and I decided I had soaked up (get it) as much experience as i was going to. As I approached my locker I saw a door open ... Had my locker being forced open? No it was the locker next door. This reminded me of the stuff I left in the hostel so I quickly got dressed and made my way back.

All my stuff was safe so I picked it up and ventured out for lunch and to find 'the house of terror'. The house of terror was a building used by the Nazi (and then the soviet) secret police where they tortured and killed Hungarian political opposition during the second world war and the cold war. It was very interesting (even without an audio guide) and quite thought provoking and sad. After that I hurried to the national museum and went in around 30 rooms detailing Hungary's history ... this again was very interesting but I was getting 'museumed out' and so I hurried the WW2 rooms as I knew allot about that already.

And that's about it; I've swapped 40,000 ft (£133) for 606 Romanian Lie (£132.74 ... not bad). I'm going to be uploading a couple of pics tonight and then I will find something to eat ... oh I'll also go to a 24hr supermarket and buy some stuff for the journey tomorrow.

I don't think I'll be able to 'blog' tomorrow (sorry fans) as my train leaves at 9:15am and arrives in Braslov at 8:42pm ... I am really looking forward to the train journey as the scenery should be spectacular (even though the journey is nearly 12hrs).

So my next blog will be from Romania ... toodle pip!

P.S. my cold went a couple of days ago ... I have been bitten by a few flies but that's about it. They actually itch allot so I've put some anti-septic cream on ... sorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment