Wednesday 23 September 2009

Buda is bit of a Pest

MP3 track of the day: shut up and drive - Rhianna

Right lets skip back 24 hrs. So I had just finished my blog and I said I was going out into Vienna at night ... and this I did. I know I keep using the word beautiful but there isn't any other word to describe Vienna. Both in the day and at night the city is amazing and I wish I had another 2 days there (ummm ... a recurring theme here). It's one of those cities which I could of spent the whole 3 weeks at, and still on the last day found a new courtyard or monument. So I went around looking at all the attractions at night; I have to say this was one of my best ideas so far. I walked for an hour just looking at all the buildings and monuments with lights all over them. On my way back I stopped at a Pizzeria for a Margaretta and a couple of cokes; bonus is it came to €10.

Oh my way back to the hostel I thought about my eating and drinking ... I was having good meals and, finally, starting to eat abit more fruit. The only thing that was letting me down was the fizzy drinks; at home I very rarely drink fizzy drinks, and abroad it's so easy to just say 'coke'. From now on, very few fizzy drinks.

Well another early start was made today ... not because I really had to, my train from Vienna to Budapest didn't leave until 11:50, no it was because I had to vacate my room before 9am. I was sad to leave the relative comfort of being able to leave all my stuff where I wanted ... however I had missed not meeting anyone. At 9:00am I was at the train station, I had nearly three hours to kill. First I used the last of my Euros on breakfast (2x pan-oh-chocolate and a bottle of orange). Then I read abit more of my book (which I'm getting near the end now; will have to post it home and try to purchase another book in Budapest).

Finally the train arrived and I got on. I sat in my carriage with 4 other people (a mum and dad and their son, plus quite an attractive young woman). I spent the whole time either 'window sightseeing' or reading my book.



Once in Budapest I set to finding my hostel ... However I new I needed the bus so I needed to withdraw some money. It took me a while to locate an ATM; after which I withdrew 20,000 Forint (ha ... look who's rich) which is actually around £70 (300 forint to £1) ... brilliantly the ATM gave me 2x 10,000 notes and so I withdrew another 1,000 as I new the bus wouldn't accept the equivalent of a 30 pound note. I then had to get some change so I bought a bottle of Fanta (doh!) and headed for the bus stop. Looking at the bus made me realise that I was now located in a not so affluent part of Europe (I think the bus had been used in Napoleon's withdraw from Moscow). Being in a less affluent area did put my guard right up; however I didn't have to worry as most people are very friendly, and its also good practice for Romania, China and south east Asia (China and south east Asia are not apart of this trip you understand). It wasn't too difficult to locate the hostel and finally I was in front of a big wooden door. My Hostel (called 'Big Fish') was number 8 on the button thing, so I pressed it. I was welcomed buy a nice lady into a courtyard; we went up some stairs and then into this apartment. The hostel is only two dorms with 12 beds each (currently it has about 5 men and 5 women in); she runs it along with her boyfriend and it has a pleasant 'family run' feeling.

I dumped by bags and went straight out for a walk (the lady also gave me a map and a few pointers). It is so hot here ... you wouldn't think it was nearly October. Remembering what I had decided about fizzy drinks I went to find a super market (Spar to the rescue) and I purchased 6x bottles of water, some chocolate and some sucky sweets (as I had now ran out of the one's I'd bought in the UK).

After dropping these off I went to find the restaurant recommend by 'Big Fish' (In a T-shirt at 6pm at night). I had traditional Goulash and a coke (doh!) followed by a Hungarian chocolate cake and a drink of Orange Juice. I have to say that Hungary won't win any awards for food from me ... the Goulash was okay (I had it before in Prague and it was different there and better) and the chocolate cake was horrible. To top it all off I think I got overcharged by 600 forints ... I was a little mad until I realised that 600 forints was £2.

I got back to my hostel and checked my money situation; out of the 21,000 forints I withdrew earlier I have just over half left. I had spend £35 on 3 nights bed, a meal, 6x bottles of water, chocolate and some sweets. Budapest maybe very hot and may not have worked it's charm on me yet ... but boy was it cheap!

Just like in Berlin there is a free tour around the city (tip basis) so I think I'll join that tomorrow. I also would like to purchase some swimming trunks as I would like to go to the famous baths the day after. However for now it's 8:30pm and I'm off to sleep. I've got a possible 12hrs to sleep and I'm not going to miss this opportunity ... I'm knackered.

Toodle Pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment