Saturday 19 September 2009

Berlin Day two

Well before I start to tell you about 'Berlin day two' ... lets go back 24hrs.

It's 8pm last night and I have just finished posting my blog on here. I have a couple of things left to do ...
  • Most importantly book my hostel for Vienna
  • Check my emails
  • Upload all 36 pics I had taken that day to Flickr

Now my mum will tell you that if I've planned to do something I will do it come hell or high water. However yesterday, for some reason, the Internet kept failing after 5 mins ... I kept trying to get my hostel booked but as I got to the payment form it just died ... each time. Looking to the window, and thinking of throwing my netbook through it, I'd finally finished doing all the tasks ... after 4hours (the time as now 1am)... I'd had no tea; (which after reading my sisters email I might get into trouble) I snuck into my room, put my stuff away (without waking anyone ... or at least I thought so), and went to sleep alittle annoyed.

MP3 track of the day: Band of Brothers suite 2


At 8am the sun was shining through the windows and I got up and got ready; all my room mates were still asleep. I had a shower and got dressed and they were ALL still asleep. I went and had my break fast and they were all still asleep. It was 10am and I was ready for the off and they were just stirring (why bother going travelling?). Anyway I went on the underground and followed the same route I would have to take tomorrow for my train to Vienna (so I knew where to go).

Once in Berlin I went around the central park for the first hour; I just wandered in and out and around and it was beautiful ... oh one thing I forgot to mention is the weather. Both days have been scorching hot and it's been lovely here ... it's just like summer. Anyway as I was saying, it was beautiful and I could of stayed in the park all day. However I went out and through the Brandenburg Gate and walked all the way down the main high street ... I then just wondered through the city (which is ace ... getting lost in a city is so much fun) for another hour finding a subway (the fast food place) to have something to eat. Due to the lack of food yesterday I made an effort to make sure I pigged out ... 12" sub for me please ( sis - I had lettuce with it). I don't know what it is but, so far, Ive never really felt hungry; but i know that I do have to eat so, like I said, an effort was made.

It was around 12:30 and the 'Third Reich' tour was to start at 1pm ... so I went back to the Brandenburg Gate. The tour wasn't with the same guy as yesterday, it was with another history graduate from Glasgow. Again she really knew her stuff and the tour was excellent. We did some of the sites I did yesterday (Hitlers bunkers etc) but we also went to the SS HQ (or the site of it) and others like that ... I cannot recommend these tours enough, they are so good and unfortunately this company don't run tours in Vienna. :(

After this I headed back to the hostel as I new I had to get ready for tomorrow. I went back to my room and packed ready for a 6:00am start (I bet my room mates can't wait for me to leave). When I was in their I met another guy called 'T' (I think) from Stuggard. The funny thing was when I said I came from the Midlands in the UK, he asked if it was Derby ... It turns out his company have contracts with JCB.

Anyway in my dorm there are 8 people: me, Nick (South Korea), 'T' (Germany), Jessy (Oz), a couple (South America), a Chinese girl and someone else ... It's weird to think that almost all the corners of the globe are in one room ... getting along when political nations cannot ... there is something brilliant about backpacking and sharing a room in a hostel as it brings people together (now that's an idea for the next world leader summit ... let them stay in a dorm).

Still my next stop will be in an individual room. I need to do some washing (So I need somewhere to hang my washing) and all my electrical goodies are out of juice ... I need the security to recharge them.

Well I think that's it from me ... I wish I was staying another two days in Berlin, I've fallen in love with this city and urge you all to go ... what are you waiting for?

Toodle Pip!

P.S. Sorry if my spelling isn't up to scratch ... the PC is having a hard time keeping up with my typing ... also, as shown above, sometimes not all goes to plan and I could be in a rush.

3 comments:

  1. 'Summit in a Dorm'. Nice idea, but Brown would keep everyone awake snoring, Putin would 'borrow' all the towels and 'The Dear Leader' would barricade his bunk and throw croissants at everyone else...

    Enjoying the Blog so far, glad you're enjoying yourself so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like all is well so far Matt, couldn't remember the exact date that you set off on, but glad that it's been good so far.

    Long may it continue.

    Oh and summit in a Dorm, would that not be Political Big Brother?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah ... the next series of Big Brother has just been discovered ... I have the rights

    ReplyDelete